Subject: Re: OpenOffice install error?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2003 22:11:32
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 05:19:59PM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:16:12PM +0100, Michael Rauch wrote:
> > > Is there a way to check for available X display numbers moderately easily?
> >
> > If anyone's got a positive answer to this question, I'd happily
> > implement it.
>
> Hm.  I s'pose that you could just start launching X servers from some
> starting display number until it works.

I like to use xdpyinfo as a quick test of my DISPLAY and the
accessibility of my X server. Of course, now that I tried it
here at home (not work) I get this:

% date ; xdpyinfo -display localhost:2 ; date
Thu Feb 27 22:09:40 EST 2003
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
xdpyinfo:  unable to open display "localhost:2".
Thu Feb 27 22:09:46 EST 2003
%

Man, that's a pain. Why does that happen (the 6 second delay,
that it)? Is this a feature of newer X/XFree86 kits?

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper