Subject: PostgreSQL uppgraes
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2003 10:34:24
Hi

I did a make upgrade for php4, which upgraded a lot of things without a
hurt, including PostgreSQL.

The porblem is that when you upgrade a major version of postgreSQL, you
need to dump and reload the database. This is easy when you planned it,
but I did not really expected make update on php4 to update PostgreSQL.

I had to reload the backups to grab the older postgres, postmaster, and
libpq binaries to be able to dump the database. This is not very
convenient.

Debian's PostgreSQL package dumps the database by itself before doing an
update. That way you don't get beaten. I wonder how such a feature could
fit in our pkgsrc? Another way would be to keep the old binaries
somewhere, in /tmp for instance, so that you can catch the mistake
without the needs of the backups.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Pas de processeur Intel, pas de logiciels Microsoft: