Subject: Re: packages using ncurses
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2003 10:27:52
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 03:04:07PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> Unless (until) the package dependency system evolves significantly,
> the only thing to do (IMO), is to expect any collection of binary
> packages to have associated with it, a set of implicit dependencies:
> as in, this set is for NetBSD 1.5.[123], this set is for NetBSD 1.5.4,
> this set is for Red Hat 8.0 + openssl-0.9.6g + ncurses-XXX, and so on.

That makes sense, and I agree that currently there is not much room
for movement. However...

It would be very useful to be able to forcibly use the pkgsrc versions
of all packages. It means being able to update the base system and
pkgsrc independent of one another, which is a big win if you maintain
systems running various different OS's and like to keep things in sync.

At the moment, you need to be a little careful about what you have
installed in your base system and what you update. This might be more
of a challenge on Linux because you generally get A Lot of stuff. We
cannot possibly track every OS distribution and installation option
out there.

Using the pkgsrc versions of everything eliminates this problem,
since you only know you're only using the very core base libraries.

g.