Subject: Re: packages using ncurses
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2003 06:08:18
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 12:05:16PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> IMO, these things should go into the bootstrap kit for the OS. (So...
> now we need a portable NetBSD curses?) Same thing for openssl. There's
> no way we're going to be able to spot dependencies on things in our
> base system, and the chief advantage to having such things in our base
> system is that we don't then have to track dependencies.

Only tools that are *really* needed for bootstrapping should be
included in the bootstrap kit.

Neither ncurses or openssl fall into this category.

If we are going to link programs against libraries which are in the
base system, registering a dependancy is desired (imho) so that
upgrades of system packages can be performed without major breakage.

g.