Subject: Re: installing devel/ncurses under Linux
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/19/2003 13:03:40
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:16:20PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Anyways since curses.h is the default; maybe it should be installed that
> way except under NetBSD. Any comments?

No, there's no reason for that since packages that want ncurses will almost
always also check for <ncurses.h>.  _Not_ installing curses.h will prevent
any conflicts with the system curses if it's present.

> Also, shouldn't clear, tput and tset (and man pages) be installed?
> I'd install them even if under NetBSD, since they would default to
> /usr/pkg/.

I think that's fine.  The system man pages have precedence over the
package ones in a default setup, so I don't see a reason to _not_ install
them either.  We seemed to inherit this from the initial import of the
package from the FreeBSD ports tree way back on 19971027, but I don't see
how that's useful to us.  FreeBSD probably had it because they use ncurses
for their curses implementation, and there was probably some issue with
confounding man pages on FreeBSD.

Could you please send a PR with your suggested fixes?

	Thanks,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>