Subject: Re: Two packages with the same name
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/19/2003 05:23:20
--KN5l+BnMqAQyZLvT

hi,

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:22:08PM +1100, Adrian Portelli wrote:
>=20
> Anyone got an idea about how to deal with two packages with the same
> name ?
>=20
> There is currently a net/arpd package and I'm creating a package for
> honeyd (http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/honeyd/).
>=20
> Honeyd has a supporting program also called arpd which is distributed
> separately.  So how do I go about adding honeyd's arpd package without
> conflicting with the current one in pkgsrc ?
>=20
> I suppose I could put it under 'security' instead of 'net'.  Maybe
> net/arpd-honeyd ???

the common practice of dealing with such situations is rename the new
package and either make them conflict or alter names of the conflicting
files.  in this case the latter is probably way to go.  then you need to
make sure the other dependent packages are actually using the new
renamed files, of course.

as an alternative solution, you can ask Niels (i added him on cc:) to
change name of the arpd package and daemon.  arpd is too generic name
and it's expected to cause conflicts.  maybe harpd, honeyarpd or
honey-arpd would be better.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --