Subject: Re: xmms patch for raw cds
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2003 17:39:02
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:31:21PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > In case it wasn't clear in my original message, all that change provides
> > is (what I think are) saner defaults.  Even if /dev/cd0c is wrong
> > because the user had a second CD ROM they prefer to listen to audio CDs
> > on, it's still a better default than /vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0.
>
> True, "/vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0" is clearly for somebody else (Sun?),
> but "/dev/cd0c" doesn't work on i386. It looks like "/dev/cd0a" would
> work on NetBSD on all platforms.

When making changes such as this, please remember to consider
other platforms. For example, if a program tries to DTRT but fails,
it should be fixed cleanly, rather than brute-forced into the
NetBSD way.

If no such checks exist, a clean way to pass the device path would
be a good approach for pkgsrc portability.

g.