Subject: Re: xmms patch for raw cds
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2003 00:47:30
On 10 Feb 2003 20:58:00 -0500, "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
wrote:

> > Yeah. For that reason, I think it would better to use /dev/cdrom on
> > all platforms, and on NetBSD, to let the user make /dev/cdrom a
> > symlink to the desired device.
>
> I think we should make things work well by default. As it stands right
> now, most users will be happy with cd0 being used to play things, and
> I think in general we should do what Simon proposes. Rule of least
> surprise. The user is NOT expecting to need to create a /dev/cdrom and
> /dev/cdrom goes very much against the NetBSD grain I think.

The problem as I see it is, there's no way to offer any hint to pkgsrc (or
applications generally) about what device to use.  There should be some
notion of a default cdrom, default printer, default floppy, default modem.

Granted, on a multiuser system, these notions might not make much sense,
but then on a multiuser system, how often will xmms be installed?

You may say, correctly, that "default cdrom" is vague, that xmms needs the
cdrom attached to the sound card, whereas cdrecord has different
requirements.  Still, there must be better choices than always /dev/cd0 or
"let him configure it".

--jkl