Subject: Re: xmms patch for raw cds
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2003 20:58:00
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:
> > I see one problem: what if the cd-rom drive one wishes to play
> > audio from isn't cd0?

Then they can configure that.

> Yeah. For that reason, I think it would better to use /dev/cdrom on
> all platforms, and on NetBSD, to let the user make /dev/cdrom a
> symlink to the desired device.

I think we should make things work well by default. As it stands right
now, most users will be happy with cd0 being used to play things, and
I think in general we should do what Simon proposes. Rule of least
surprise. The user is NOT expecting to need to create a /dev/cdrom and
/dev/cdrom goes very much against the NetBSD grain I think.

Perry