Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: Ron Roskens <roskens@elfin.net>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2003 11:46:21
On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 12:05:22PM -0600, Ron Roskens wrote:

> XAPPLRESDIR can only include one directory and its used to define
> XUSERFILESEARCHPATH. The main variable is XFILESEARCHPATH.
>
> man X(7)

  Which is not a problem, since the standard location is also searched
(at least, so says the man page).

> Since NetBSD could have the app-defaults under both /usr/pkg and
> /usr/X11R6, maybe it would be better to modify the NetBSD config file for
> X11 to include /usr/pkg/lib/X11/app-defaults/ in the XFILESEARCHPATH? If
> you want to modify login.conf it would be better to set
> XFILESEARCHPATH since a user could define XUSERFILESEARCHPATH and override
> XAPPLRESDIR.
>
> XFILESEARCHPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:\
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:\
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%T/%N%C%S:\
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:\
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:\
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%T/%N%S:\
> /usr/pkg/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:\
> /usr/pkg/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:\
> /usr/pkg/lib/X11/%T/%N%C%S:\
> /usr/pkg/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:\
> /usr/pkg/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:\
> /usr/pkg/lib/X11/%T/%N%S

  Wow is that ever ugly.

> >From quick perusal of the X11 imake config files, adding a new definition
> of XFileSearchPathDefault in NetBSD.cf would be enough to make this stick
> in a release build of X11.

  If X11 packages are to be switched to LOCALBASE by default (a good idea,
I think), then this sounds like the Right Way to make it Just Work.

  Then, instead of xpkgwedge there would need to be an xpkgunwedge for
backward compatibility :-).

--Jim