Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2003 10:59:19
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Rob Windsor wrote:

> Relatively easy to have packages use ${PKGROOT}/lib/X11/app-defaults,
> instead.

Well, this is certainly not as bad as /etc vs. /usr/pkg/etc, but I still
have my doubts about it. If I replace a base version of a program with a
pkgsrc version, should the options it uses change just because it came
from pkgsrc rather than with the base system? And if I later remove it,
should it change back again? Should the options change depending on
which one I run?

I really prefer to know that, no matter what version of xterm I run, I
always know where it's finding its configuration information. (Though
as I said, this is hardly as critical as something like named or httpd
going and using a different set of configuration information.)

cjs