Subject: mozilla-1.2.1 and phoenix-0.5 will not run as binary packages.
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/17/2003 13:03:16
I had installed the binary packages for mozilla-1.2.1 and phoenix-0.5 at
a client site but they wouldn't start -- they hang in a select()
sometime before even the little profile selector/manager window opens.

The instances installed on the build machine work better -- not well
enough to use, for reasons I can't yet identify since this build machine
is almost identical to a development machine where I use both
extensively without problems, but at least well enough to open the
initial windows.

I thought there must have been something wrong with the font server or
Xterm configs or similar (even though I couldn't imagine what it could
be since "everything else" works fine).

However yesterday I finally got around to de-installing mozilla on the
build machine and then re-installing it from its own binary package and
sure enough the same problem occurs now.

I've ktraced and all looks well up until the point where it sticks in a
'poll' system call, probably waiting for the Xserver to reply (if I've
traced through the file descriptors correctly and assuming that's the
socket it's select()ing on).

Before it hangs there is a flurry of activity with the Xserver, as I can
see by the network activity light on my Xterm.  It's exactly the same
pattern I see before the instance installed from the build opens the
profile selector window.

After that point though it'll sit there forever without executing one
more instruction -- I left one running overnight with not a peep out of
it (my window manager is configured with a 15-second timeout for manual
window placement before it just drops it wherever, but the provile
selector always appears as a popup without placement anyway).

--
								Greg A. Woods