Subject: Re: everything is a dependency and preventing removal
To: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/11/2003 22:49:32
[ On , January 12, 2003 at 04:59:25 (GMT), MLH wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: everything is a dependency and preventing removal
>
> Precisely. But one component of this is 'can the new package be
> built in the current environment?'.

No, actually that's not a problem.  I build my packages on a separate
build machine and then distribute the binaries to the final target
machines where they'll be installed and used in production.  I'm
assuming people who will install binary packages from some CD won't be
building them either, and yet I'm obviously also assuming that somehow
those packages do in fact get built somewhere by someone.  Not a problem.

> > Rules have to be devised for INSTALL/DEINSTALL scripts and support has
> > to be added so that obsoleted files can be identified and dealt with.
>
> And even if/when you do this, how are you going to be sure that it
> actually works?

By design and by testing of course!  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods