Subject: Re: security fixes and 1.6 branch of pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/07/2003 01:19:51
On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 21:28:13 +0100, Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
wrote:
> I like the idea of a
> stable (and secure) pkgsrc branch for at least the latest NetBSD
> release.

I think you're overlooking the NetBSD release cycle.  I can name offhand
half a dozen packages I use that had several releases between NetBSD's
1.5.2 and 1.6.  With 3000-odd packages in pkgsrc, you want to wait a year
before updating them?

Better would be to release a version of the tree whenever it happens to
stabilize, as measured by successful bulk-builds of the whole tree on
targeted platforms.  For example, take a snapshot every Saturday at 3:00
UTC.  Build it on sparc and i386 (and/or anything else that will do the
job in under a week!)  Maybe add Solaris and Linux to the mix as host
OSes, if that's our goal.  Post a list of broken packages.  If that list
is zero, yippee, we have a release, pkgsrc++.  Fork a branch, declare
victory, and go home.

Four times a year would suffice, IMO.

--jkl