Subject: Re: GNOME 2 packages and USE_GNU_GETTEXT
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/26/2002 14:31:38
On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 09:50:00PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 15:26:36 -0500
> Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org> wrote:
>
> > I did a fresh installation of the GNOME 2 packages yesterday and
> > noticed that many of them set USE_GNU_GETTEXT=yes.  I commented
> > out that line in all the Makefiles before building.  Everything
> > works fine using the system libintl.
> >
> > Can we drop the USE_GNU_GETTEXT or have i missed something?
>
> I was thinking the same thing some hours ago, but I do not have the time
> to rebuild the whole thing these days. When I packaged these programs,
> they insisted to link against libintl.la (which is not provided by the
> base sytem). So it seems the problem has gone away.
>
> The question is, what has changed? Something in buildlink2's wrappers?

There were two distinct periods when many packages insisted on using GNU
gettext if it was installed -- one was a while a ago (before fake-la), and
the other was recent (after gettext was updated to 0.11.5).  The problems
have been resolved, so any remaing USE_GNU_GETTEXT in pkgsrc are probably
not necessary.

	-- Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>