Subject: Re: 'make build' without building install-time depends
To: Frank Cusack <fcusack@fcusack.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/24/2002 19:34:37
On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Frank Cusack wrote:

> I'm working on a local package which has
>
> DEPENDS+=	something-else
>
> That something-else is not a build-time dependency, and it takes VERY
> long to build.  Is there a way I can have make not build this dependency?
>
> It seems DEPENDS implies BUILD_DEPENDS.  How hard would it be to add a
> PACKAGE_DEPENDS or similar?  (I'd rather see DEPENDS implied meaning
> change, but that seems like too drastic of a change.)

Is it really a run-time dependency?

Tell us more. Because I don't understand why to use a DEPENDS if it is not
a dependency.

Just to clarify: BUILD_DEPENDS is only needed at the initial build-from-
package-time, for example needing autoconf to generate a new configure
script. A regular DEPENDS would be something that is required at run-time
(and possibly at built-time too); for example, some script may require
perl to even be used.

(This reminds me of the past suggestion to have a field for suggesting
other packages that are helpful but not required.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/