Subject: Re: pkgtools/pkg_install fails under Linux (due to HAVE_STATVFS?)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/21/2002 21:52:48
On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> > updated pkgsrc. Attempting to build any package tells me to update my
> > pkgtools/pkg_install.

> The reason it tells you that is because PKGTOOLS_REQD was recently
> bumped -- a feature was added to the pkg_* tools, and pkgsrc relies
> on that feature being present.

I understand that (since, if I recall correctly, it has hit me several
times over past couple years.)

> More recently, I modified pkgtools/pkg_install to use the same
> autoconf'd source code as found in bootstrap-pkgsrc, precisely to
> make life easier for people using pkgsrc on non-NetBSD when
> PKGTOOLS_REQD is bumped.

Thanks! I am glad that this is being integrated.

> Thus, if pkgtools/pkg_install doesn't build on your Linux system,
> I'd expect bootstrap-pkgsrc/pkg_install to fail in the same way.

It was a couple months ago when I used bootstrap-pkgsrc on this
particular system. Since it has been "bootstrapped" (and I have
successfully used pkgsrc since then), I am glad that I don't have to
bootstrap again.

> On the bright side, when the fix has been determined, it'll apply
> easily in both places.

This will be great!

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. I am using pkgsrc to build an entire whatever/Linux system. (I made
glibc, XFree86 and around 20 other new packages for providing a "complete"
OS.)