Subject: Re: updating installed packages
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/21/2002 05:31:38
On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2002 17:03:42 +1000
> Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
> >   Don't forget to "make clean CLEANDEPENDS=yes" thereafter, otherwise
> > you end up with a dirty tree.
> >
> >   Just be careful when updating libraries or other packages where an ABI
> > change can cause havoc.  In such cases, there is no way around a "make
> > update".
>
> Yeah... I wonder what happened with the pkg_hack idea...

I still use it myself, and I've updated it to use ${GTAR}, rather than
"tar", for the benefit of -current systems (for now):

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/fredb/pkg_hack.tar.gz

I'm not happy with the way wildcard information can be lost when
packages are upgraded in arbitrary order. (You have to change the
@pkgdeps when you change the package name, else the contents of
+REQUIRED_BY don't match up with anything. I think it would be better,
though, to hide the original wildcard somewhere to restore it later,
but I haven't had time to implement that.)

Be warned that if an ABI changes without a change in soname, it's
*guaranteed* *to* *fail*. You can't, therefore, expect an update of
gnome-libs, with it's unnumbered shared libraries, for example, to
work flawlessly in all cases.

Frederick