Subject: Re: updating installed packages
To: Terrance Thompson <terrancepthompson@yahoo.com>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/18/2002 23:59:31
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:40:48 -0800 (PST)
Terrance Thompson <terrancepthompson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A while ago I got fed up with using `make update' and
> waiting for a *long* time for some packages (e.g. KDE)
>
> to be reinstalled multiple times.
>
> I've since been updating packages that are multiply
> depended on by forcibly deleting them - `pkg_delete -f
>
> foo' - and then reinstalling - `make' and `make
> install'.
>
> Everything has worked fine so far, but I'm not 100%
> confident that this is a sound thing do be doing. Is
> there any reason that this is not a sensible venture?

This is wrong because pkg_delete -f will remove all dependancies
recorded in the package you are deleting... so... guess what will
happen in a future.

Just use "make replace" instead of "make update" for the package
you want to update.

--
Julio Merino (http://jmmv.dyndns.org/) <jmmv@menta.net>