Subject: Re: xpkgwedge on Solaris
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Julien Letessier <mezis@free.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/18/2002 20:54:47
On Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002, at 12:25 Europe/Paris, Ignatios Souvatzis
wrote:

> I don't know how autoconf applications behave - but imake applications
> get
> installed into /usr/openwin/$foo although pkg$FOO try to register them
> in
> $(LOCALBASE)/$foo.
(...)

Another explored solution (the one I use) is to create an X11 package,
make it install itself under ${LOCALBASE} (e.g. ${LOCALBASE}/X), and
tell pkgsrc that that's now your ${X11BASE}. Then Imake-based packages
will use its .cf files (instead of Openwin's) and install under
${LOCALBASE}/X!

And... It works perfectly! I have (most of) gnome-1.4.2 and kde-3.0.7
building (and running) under /usr/pkg/X on my Solaris 8 box. See one of
my previous posts for a working xfree-4.2.1 package.

The only few remaining problems are shared-library-buildling related
problem's I'm trying to solve. (the shared libraries in XFree don't say
anything when I 'ldd' them... strange enough)

(Credit: this solution was devised by Stoned Elipot <seb@netbsd.org>.)

Cheers,
--
Julien T. Letessier                   aim: JLetessier
Post-graduate ENSIMAG Student         web: http://www.mezis.net