Subject: Re: pine probs: structure has no member named `always_spell_check'
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/16/2002 21:12:52
Le Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:55:56 -0800 (PST)
Marc Slemko a écrit :
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> >
> > > Another problem with my NetBSD 1.5.2 hp300 system compiling new
> > > stuff. Latest cvs sources of mail/pine give me:
[...]
> > .include "../../editors/pico/buildlink2.mk"
> >
> > This was bumped too.
> >
> > So I guess you didn't update editors/pico also. (Good idea to update
> > everything at once.)
>
> ???
>
> Are you saying that netbsd packages have no mechanism for specifying
> that there are version dependencies on a library?  pine version x
> requires version >= y of imap-uw, but if you have an older one
> installed then the compilation just fails... even if your pkgsrc is
> updated, since the package doesn't specify any version dependency.

No, the problem here is that the pkgsrc was only partly updated. Thus, the
buildlink2.mk included was outdated WRT the pine package.

This is kind of a flaw in the buildlink design, but I don't think there's
any simple solution to that : bumping a buildlinked package would mean
updating all packages that depend on it, and not doing that is precisely
one of the reasons buildlink is used.

The bottom line is, update your pkgsrc as a whole, not each pacakge at
once.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.