Subject: Re: Python packages.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/2002 13:23:49
On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:36:53 -0600 (CST)
Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> wrote:

> I count 7 ...pkgsrc/lang/python* packages (one is just "python", but it's
> not immediately clear to me if I can use it to unify the other 6 and their
> dependants).
>
> Some things seem to want the 2.1 or 2.2 version; others want 2.0, and I
> think that I even had one application load the 1.5 Python.  (1.5 is used
> by grail, I guess; 2.1 seems to be prefered by Pmw/Tk support...
> py-imagingtk has started building 2.0, I think...)

lang/python does not contain any package. It contains some convenience
Makefiles. For example, if your application needs python, you do:

.include "../../python/application.mk"

And if it requires a specific version, you do (before including the .mk):

PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED= 21 22

Take a look to pyversion.mk

HTH

--