Subject: Re: html doc location
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/2002 18:26:34
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:01:07 -0500 (EST), woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods)
wrote:
> [ On Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 16:38:29 (-0500), James K. Lowden
> wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: html doc location
> >
> > Looking again at hier(7), I would say it's a bug to install any
> > site-specific data in /usr/share
>
> I suppose it depends on exactly what you mean by "site",

Or "data".  :)

I understand that a site administrator would keep widely-shared documents
in /usr/share that wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for the www.  Of
course.  For that reason, it's the appropriate location of user &
administrator documentation, too, with judicious use of chmod.

Someone else replied offlist (which confused me into partly answering him
here) that mgetty+sendfax installs sample files whose content is derived
from the installing machine in /usr/local/share, which is OK, I guess.
But I wouldn't think anyone would want pkgsrc to install such information
in /usr/share, given its purpose.

Hope that's a little clearer.

Regards,

--jkl

P.S. O.T.  I wish the NetBSD mailing lists would set ReplyTo:.  Most of
the lists I use do, and my mail client is sensitive to it.  I'm at an age
at which I get easily confused.  Maybe I always was.