Subject: Re: bsetroot in {black,open}box
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2002 09:52:43
Hello Jan,

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> In PR pkg/19107, there is a package for the openbox window manager.
> Openbox is a fork of Blackbox, and uses two tools that are part of
> Blackbox' PLIST, namely bsetroot and bsetbg (as well as their respective
> man-pages).  It is not desirable to have these two packages conflict for

> least one other fork of Blackbox -- hackedbox -- which also uses these
> tools.  When we include hackedbox in pkgsrc, we'd have to add another
> test and further mess around with these.

Maybe rename the openbox versions (and future hackedbox versions)  to
something like: openbox-bsetroot and openbox-bsetbg (and
hackedbox-bsetroot and hackedbox-bsetbg).

Note that the "b" in bsetroot and bsetbg most likely stands for
"blackbox".

If the other projects want to be the same, then we could supply second
package for just these tools, but I don't know which bsetbg/bsetroot of
the three projects is best.

Now that I think about it, the sh script bsetbg and the executable
bsetroot are useful for other packages too, so having a separate package
is a good idea.

(This reminds me: someone mentioned some OpenBSD ports features for
building multiple packages from same ports source.)

   Jeremy C. Reed ... uses blackbox :)

   http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/blackbox/faq.html