Subject: Re: NetBSD pkgsrc on FreeBSD
To: David Yeske <dyeske@yahoo.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/19/2002 01:38:12
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:20:26 -0800 (PST), David Yeske writes:
>digest and pkg_install.  That won't work for a port of pkgsrc to a new
>OS though.

bootstrapping bmake (and I think this is all the pkgsrc thing does)
shouldn't take much more than

./configure
make -f makefile.boot bootstrap

> Also should bmake be able to be compiled from a shell
>script on a system that has no make program assuming you have a
>compiler?  How far should portability go?

In a word... "no".  makefile.boot is bog simple and should work with
any flavour of make - install gmake first if need be ;-)

>My experience has been that bootstrapping tools should be able to be
>discarded once a system is bootstrapped.

Yep, and doing bmake's bootstrap target does just that.  It builds
bmake.boot, then uses that to build bmake.

If you can't even build bmake.boot, then you have a porting issue.

In the days before I re-mastered bmake from cvs imports of netbsd's
make (to simplify keeping in sync with netbsd) I had used it on AIX,
IRIX, SunOS, Solaris, DGUX?, OSF1, HP-UX, Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD (I
may have forgotten a few).  In some cases I may have been in a hurry
and just used the bmake.boot.  Since re-mastering, I've personally
only built it on NetBSD, Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD, but I expect it
should still be ok on the others.

Anyway, if you do have problems and solve them I welcome patches, and
if you are really stuck but can supply ssh access to a devel box I may
be able to help do a port (though I don't promise to spend more than a
few minutes on it ;-)

--sjg