Subject: Re: NetBSD pkgsrc on FreeBSD
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: David Yeske <dyeske@yahoo.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2002 16:20:26
This is probably a bikeshed, but I think the othersrc stuff should only be used to get a system up
and running ie: "bootstrap".  After that the "real" tools such as devel/bmake, pkgtools/digest,
and pkgtools/pkg_install should be recompiled, or they should be able to be recompiled.  This goes
along with the concept of building world and having a new compiler recompile itself once
installed.  I did not use othersrc to get pkgsrc going on FreeBSD, but I had handy linux binaries
that were functional.  I used the linux bmake to get digest and pkg_install going, then I
recompiled bmake, then I recompiled digest and pkg_install.  That won't work for a port of pkgsrc
to a new OS though.  Also should bmake be able to be compiled from a shell script on a system that
has no make program assuming you have a compiler?  How far should portability go?

My experience has been that bootstrapping tools should be able to be discarded once a system is
bootstrapped.

--- Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> > If you have trouble getting bmake working on something - let the maintainer
> > (me) know.  FWIW we use bmake on FreeBSD where I work with no problems.
> > We mostly use 4.x, but I recall building it ok on 5.0 about a year ago.
> > It should also build happliy on just about any *nix, but I can't test them
> > all myself.

What is the difference between othersrc/zoularis and othersrc/bootstrap-pkgsrc?