Subject: Re: let's choose a default var/ directory PKG_VARDIR
To: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/16/2002 15:19:16
[ On Saturday, November 16, 2002 at 11:30:37 (+0100), Marton Fabo wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: let's choose a default var/ directory PKG_VARDIR
>
> I don't understand this approach. Why do have all users of NetBSD be
> forced to use this scheme, just because YOU think it's mandatory? Having
> a configuration option with a reasonable default is (to me) celarly
> better than a hardwired solution.

Nobody's forcing any or all NetBSD users to do anything in any
particular way that they don't choose to do on their own.

The point is to make it simple for pkgsrc users.

The point is also that pkgsrc doesn't need to get even more over-
complicated by needless flexibility.  Such complexity just gets in the
way and makes maintaining and using pgksrc even more difficult than it
already is (not binary packages -- but pkgsrc and pkgsrc modules).  The
hard-wired solution is quite sufficient.  After all we've hard-wired all
the base OS software to expect and place files in certain places -- so
well integrated packages are no different.  The whole idea of packages
is to make third party software managable in the context of the base OS
and the best way to do that is to do proper and complete integration of
them into the layout and styles of the base OS.

To this end the hard-wired integration is clearly better.

--
								Greg A. Woods