Subject: Re: let's choose a default var/ directory PKG_VARDIR
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2002 22:53:06
[ On Friday, November 15, 2002 at 17:43:47 (-0800), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: let's choose a default var/ directory PKG_VARDIR
>
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > All files matching the criteria for the /var hierarchy should, by
> > default, always be put in one lone /var.
>
> Then you can choose "PKG_VARDIR= /var".

No, you don't understand.  That must be default for ordinary pkgsrc end
users.

> Anyways, what about /etc files that we force to /usr/pkg/etc?

I default to /etc, and I think it should be the normal default.

I think all this nonsense about making such things configurable in
pkgsrc is more or less completely bogus across the board.  The whole
point to package management is to know where the files are for each
package.  Yes, right now that means pkgsrc developers must take care not
to clobber system files, but hopefully that'll soon change too.

People who install third-party stuff outside of pkgsrc (which I do quite
oftn myself) should use some non-conflicting locations, not the other way
around.

> I understand the filesystem possibilities, but nothing is stopping
> /usr/pkg/var from being its own filesystem too.

Of course nothing prevents you from making /foo/pkg/var or /var/pkg or
whatever into a filesystem mount -- the point is that those are not a
default filesystem whereas /var is.

> Anyways, this is just for organization. Even "PKG_VARDIR= /var" as the
> default is fine too.

As I say, such levels of organization are unnecessary complications and
overhead.  K.I.S.S.

> When developing packages, like glibc, cron, syslogd, et cetera, I don't
> want to have to use workarounds so the filenames don't conflict under
> /var.

You should be very aware of what pathnames a package uses long before
you try to make it into a pkgsrc module.  I always install the pacakge
manually on a test system first and take great care to note where its
files go.

--
								Greg A. Woods