Subject: Re: let's choose a default var/ directory PKG_VARDIR
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2002 17:43:47
On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> > Anyways for some consistency, I propose we provide a setting, like
> > PKG_VARDIR which could default to ${PREFIX}/var.

> I like the idea, specially to set it to /var/pkg hehe. I think the stuff

/var/pkg is good too (especially since /var mounted disk is already for
it).

> should me more or less like what PKG_SYSCONFDIR does.

Except, I don't think subdirectories named after the package name are ever
needed. (For example, /var/pkg/package-name/log or
/var/pkg/package-name/db is not needed.)

Also, some autoconf/configure-based packages may honor:

 --localstatedir=DIR     modifiable single-machine data in DIR [PREFIX/var]

which might be useful.

Also maybe PLISTs could have entries, like:
@unexec ${RM} -f ${PKG_VARDIR}/run/radiusd.pid

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> All files matching the criteria for the /var hierarchy should, by
> default, always be put in one lone /var.

Then you can choose "PKG_VARDIR= /var".

Anyways, what about /etc files that we force to /usr/pkg/etc?

> Indeed I cannot quite imagine any reason to ever put /var files for
> packages in any other location than that where all normal /var-like
> files go, which is of course somewhere under the one true /var (which
> will normally be a separate filesystem, hopefully with specific mount
> options that restrict its use to the sole purposes of /var files.

I understand the filesystem possibilities, but nothing is stopping
/usr/pkg/var from being its own filesystem too.

Anyways, this is just for organization. Even "PKG_VARDIR= /var" as the
default is fine too.

When developing packages, like glibc, cron, syslogd, et cetera, I don't
want to have to use workarounds so the filenames don't conflict under
/var.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/