Subject: let's choose a default var/ directory PKG_VARDIR
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2002 13:03:01
I've made a few packages that had some defaults of placing files under
/var, like: /var/lib/modules/persist, /var/run/cron.pid,
/var/run/syslogd.pid, /var/run/utmp, and /var/cache/man.

On my systems, I have packages that have various files under /var, such as:

/var/gnome
/var/log/snort
/var/log/exim
/var/log/apache (hmmmm .... not in PLIST)

Other examples:

/var/games/mirrormagic/scores
/var/games/rocksndiamonds/scores/dx_achim_haertel
/var/nullmailer/queue
/var/spool/postfix
/var/spool/nntpcach
/var/run/radiusd.pid
/var/nessus
/var/db/htdig
/var/wwwoffle

And then there are things like:

var/crossfire/unique-items
var/gtkballs-scores
var/medusa
/usr/X11R6/var/scrollkeeper/

Anyways for some consistency, I propose we provide a setting, like
PKG_VARDIR which could default to ${PREFIX}/var.

Then if that was appropriately used, an admin could choose to build and
install packages with PKG_VARDIR=/var if they'd like.

In testing packages, it is important that it doesn't blindly use /var. For
example, glibc's /usr/pkg/var/run/utmp vs. BSD's /var/run/utmp.

Any comments?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/