Subject: Re: emailing MESSAGE (was Re: packages writing files out of LOCALBASE)
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/04/2002 07:59:49
On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> I like the idea, but maybe allowing MAIL_MESSAGE hold an email address
> instead of a boolean value could be better. Like: MAIL_MESSAGE=root@localhost

I thought about that. But since install makes sure uid is 0, I figured
this doesn't matter.

But, then again, some users try to use pkgsrc as non-root. So maybe it
should just email to the $USER doing the install.

Also, it would be nice if "root" new about new installs (but of course
root would know via /etc/security too) and about any important MESSAGEs.

Maybe it could be MAIL_MESSAGE=USER or ROOT, then if USER then mail it to
the user doing it.

> or something. And, does this deal with packages that have multiple messages?

I didn't test that. But I think it works, because multiple messages (if I
understand correctly) are concatenate together.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/