Subject: Re: pkgsrc for Linux net-tools
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/31/2002 15:05:13
[ On Thursday, October 31, 2002 at 09:43:12 (-0800), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: pkgsrc for Linux net-tools
>
> Nevertheless, I believe all packages (and the installed software) in the
> pkgsrc collection also work under NetBSD too. Does anyone know of any
> other non-NetBSD software in NetBSD's pkgsrc?

There was more that was marked "only for Solaris" and/or "only for
Linux" and such, but in some of those cases I've commented out that
setting in my local copy and built and used the package on NetBSD.....

> Does anyone have any comments about this?

I agree that porting pgksrc to other platforms can often help improve
the overall quality of pkgsrc for NetBSD.  Most of the time it doesn't
seem to cause excessive complications either, though it does lead to the
possiblity that maintaining pkgsrc overall could get more difficult than
strictly necessary.

--
								Greg A. Woods