Subject: Re: RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR
To: avon barksdale <avon@flatlet.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/23/2002 15:41:13
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:14:28PM -0500, avon barksdale wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:18:54PM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > We would very much like to get your help in "implementing the second".
> > pkgsrc runs on many different operating systems, and we would like to
> > see it run on more.  Anything that can be done to help this is good.
>
> I've always wondered why you bother to support Sun & Mac OSX.  It seems
> to me that it adds unneeded complexity.  I really am curious and I'm not
> trying to be obnoxious.  I'd like to hear your comments.

I'm not sure that's it's really unneeded complexity.  We sometimes need
to differentiate between different releases of NetBSD in pkgsrc, and
extending pkgsrc to differentiate between different operating systems is,
I think, a small step.  While it's true that pkgsrc on Solaris, Linux, or
MacOS X is not as well-tested as on NetBSD, I think that the number of
users using pkgsrc on non-NetBSD OSes is growing, and it will eventually
cause the quality of pkgsrc to grow.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>