Subject: Re: RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/23/2002 10:43:33
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 07:06:33PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> It maybe just because I use pkgsrc on a machine I don't have root on and
> run into "problems" which others don't hit, but it still strikes me as
> odd that these variables are set such:
>
> RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR?=       /etc/rc.d
> RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR?=        ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d
>
> Is there something which means we can't just leave pkgsrc startup
> scripts in ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d and run them from there?  Not only for
> people like me who can't write to /etc, but also for read-only mounted /
> installs.  Also makes more sense in keeping pkgsrc separate to base.

If you're tracking the -current branch of pkgsrc, then packages built since
2002-09-19 will not automatically copy rc.d scripts into ${RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR}
by default.

> I only notice this because x11/xfstt was recently changed to have
> NetBSD-specific rc.d script, so am working on a pr to install a generic
> startup script (like it used to have) for non-NetBSD installs, but I'm
> still going to get errors when a "make install" cannot mkdir /etc/rc.d

I've committed some changes to mk/bsd.pkg.install.mk and to mk/install/*
to handle the PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=NO case better with respect to creating
/etc/rc.d.  In particular, you should find that installing a package
doesn't require making /etc/rc.d unless you have PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES in
your environment.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>