Subject: RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/22/2002 19:06:33
It maybe just because I use pkgsrc on a machine I don't have root on and
run into "problems" which others don't hit, but it still strikes me as
odd that these variables are set such:

RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR?=       /etc/rc.d
RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR?=        ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d

Is there something which means we can't just leave pkgsrc startup
scripts in ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d and run them from there?  Not only for
people like me who can't write to /etc, but also for read-only mounted /
installs.  Also makes more sense in keeping pkgsrc separate to base.

I only notice this because x11/xfstt was recently changed to have
NetBSD-specific rc.d script, so am working on a pr to install a generic
startup script (like it used to have) for non-NetBSD installs, but I'm
still going to get errors when a "make install" cannot mkdir /etc/rc.d

I do remember a problem on my local NetBSD box also though when a
package didn't remove itself properly and I was getting "$slapd not set"
errors when booting up because the script was still left in /etc/rc.d -
seemed messy at the time.

A quick search also and I don't see a /usr/pkg/etc/rc.conf equivalent.
Worth implementing one?

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin - Internet Operations Engineer - BBC Internet Services