Subject: Re: configure/libtool problems: kdelibs3 on 1.6
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Mark Derbyshire <mark@taom.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/21/2002 20:10:33
--On Sunday, 2002 October 20 20:25 -0400 "Brian A. Seklecki"
<lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 @ 12:35pm (-0600), Mark Derbyshire wrote:
>
> MD> I'm converting some machines to NetBSD 1.6 and ran into problems
> building MD> kdelibs3. I've worked around them all, but as I'm a
> newcomer, I'd like to MD> determine what went wrong. All of the builds
> have been on mac68k and I MD> pulled pkgsrc through sup on 5 Oct.
> Initially I built into /usr/pkg, but
>
> KDE3 on on mac68k.  are you sure you want to do that? >:}  I think you're
> going to be very unhappy with the performance.

The late model Athlon XPs and G4s suit the bill here in terms of
performance.

But weakness is strength and vice versa. One practical side is that ancient
architecture servers can fill a small void for last bastion security. No
one bothers and few know how to write cracks for them, they're reliable,
take almost no power and their performance is sufficient to keep essential
operations up if all else fails.

A few weeks ago an extended power outage hit a non-mission-critical client
and naturally the building generator failed. However while the rest of the
servers quickly ran their UPSes out of gas, the paltry remaining Quadra 800
(68k) and its T1 were still ticking along a few hours later when the power
finally came back on.

Having these machines share even a slow administrative interface with their
modern counterparts is convenient and useful in an emergency. Building KDE3
at least keeps them off the streets :)

Cheers,
Mark