Subject: DOCDIR ?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/16/2002 12:05:08
Hi all,

I noticed that we do not have a DOCDIR (or DOCROOT) variable or some
such (or do we?).  As a result, documentation (excluding man pages) is
currently installed in

/usr/pkg/share/doc/<pkgname>
/usr/pkg/share/doc/html/<pkgname>
/usr/pkg/doc/<pkgname>
/usr/pkg/doc/html/<pkgname>

(Possibly others?)

I'd suggest that we add a default variable "DOCDIR" (or whatever you may
call it, I haven't checked the namespaces), and allow the user to
overwrite it in /etc/mk.conf.  This should be added to the default
variables that are expanded in PLIST handling.

I'm not sure if we need separate directories for html documentation, and
if so, if it shouldn't rather be DOCDIR/<pkgname>/html than
DOCDIR/html/<pkgname>.

Even if we do not bother to actually set a DOCDIR variable, I think we
should try to standardize on a location.

This shouldn't even involve much work, I think.

-Jan

--
Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat, we have
normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own lookout.