Subject: Re: Suggested patches for sysutils/ups-nut
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/14/2002 12:41:31
[ On Monday, October 14, 2002 at 18:01:35 (+1000), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Suggested patches for sysutils/ups-nut
>
> i'm not a big fan of packages rewriting config files in /etc like
> this.  otoh, i don't use newsyslog, so it doesn't affect me per se,
> but the principle is the same.

I agree for some types of configuration files, but not others.

In the case of /etc/newsyslog.conf it's not a big deal to have
configuration entries for files that don't exist, so really it's the
@unexec that should be optional (or omitted entirely)....  :-)

(similarly if a package needed to add lines to /etc/services there's no
reason not to do so upon install and no reason to remove them on
de-install unless they're known to clash with lines that some
conflicting package might also want to add)

--
								Greg A. Woods