Subject: minor problem with the build+install of the new devel/autoconf
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2002 10:23:37
This morning I started to upgrade my autoconf and automake packages, but
I encountered a small problem that leaves me scratching my head.

Autoconf is configured with "--without-lispdir" (hopefully a companion
package that installs only these files is comming RSN, but that's a
separate issue).  Unlike what you might expect the effect is more of a
poor hack and during the install step the elisp files are installed in a
subdirectory of the source tree, and this directory is created and
populated as root since the install is of course run as root.
Unfortunately this means "make clean" fails if not run as root (which of
course one really shouldn't ever do).

Other than fixing the original package's configuration and install
mechanisms to properly handle "--without-lispdir", I'm not really sure
what to do.  I suppose pkgsrc could fake it out by specifying some other
temporary directory, or maybe a "post-install" step could remove that
subdirectory while the process is still running as root.

Does anyone have any preferences or any other suggestions?

--
								Greg A. Woods