Subject: Re: transition of pkgsrc to a new machine
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/27/2002 14:44:24
[ On Friday, September 27, 2002 at 12:11:41 (+0100), David Brownlee wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: transition of pkgsrc to a new machine
>
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Frank Knappe wrote:
>
> > I will upgrade my machine from 1.5.1 to 1.6 this or next weekened.
> > Because I want to correct some mistakes in the old partition scheme
> > and other things I will make a complete new install.
> >
> > I will save my pkgsrc_distfile directory. Is there any way that I take the
> > output of pkg_info and compile/install all these packages on my new
> > machine?
>
>         pkg_info -B \* | awk '/PKGPATH/{print $2}' > .../pkgsrc/pkgchk.conf
>
>         Then copy across to new machine, install pkgtools/pkgchk, and run
>         'pkg_chk -ak'.

This procedure should probably be documented in the INSTALL notes, as
well as on the pkgsrc web pages and in packages(7).

There's already stuff about using pkgsrc for the first time included in
distrib/notes/common/postinstall, but nothing in the upgrade section.

Right now on the web page there's information about using 'lintpkgsrc',
to check for outdated packages, but not so much info about pkg_chk, nor
any mention of the above procedure.

I'm guessing that some of the functionality of 'lintpkgsrc' should be
obsoleted and that 'pkg_chk' should be the preferred tool for these
kinds of "end user" uses.

(BTW, the confusion between 'pkg_chk' and 'pkgchk' had me for a bit....)

--
								Greg A. Woods