Subject: suggestion for package updates mechanism
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier.humbert@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/27/2002 10:11:08
I am in the process of upgrading an old 1.5 box to 1.6-current

It is not a surprise that perl stops working.
> perl: Unsupported relocation type 21 in non-PLT relocations

Since I don't want to break the while thing, I checked before with
pkg_info :
> [xavier@moria xavier]# pkg_info -R perl
> Information for perl-5.6.0nb4:
>
> Required by:
> bsdpak-0.40
> autoconf-2.13
> pkgdep-1.0
> pkgdiff-0.99
> pkglint-2.43
> port2pkg-1.9
> mirror-2.9
> p5-Net-1.11
> p5-CGI-2.79
> p5-Digest-MD5-2.20
> p5-FCGI-0.58
> p5-MailTools-1.44
> p5-Locale-Codes-1.06
> p5-IO-stringy-2.108
> p5-MIME-Base64-2.12
> p5-MIME-tools-5.411a

The p5-Things are perl modules, afaik there is always dynamic loading for
perl modules
Then, all other dependencies are shell or perl scripts.

So, in fact, if I type "make update" in lang/perl5 those will be
deinstalled, then reinstalled, with little usefulness

So here is my suggestion :

In the Makefile, hence in /var/db/pkg/whatever, using *two* kinds of
dependencies : hard (the dependent software is statically linked against
us), or soft (the dependent software only needs us to be here, with a
version>=M.m-r)

Or you may call it BuildDepends/Depends, like it is in Fink, the package
manager for MacOSX/Darwin, even if it is a slightly different concept.

Any comments ?

Regards,

--
Xavier HUMBERT  -  Systemes et Reseaux     |     labo-info@injep.fr