Subject: Re: GTK2/GLIB2 Apps (WAS: Re: pkgsrc/news/pan 0.[12,13] branch
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@cit.gu.edu.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/25/2002 15:06:48
On Sun, 2002-09-22 at 09:19, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> ...i think we're in the clear at this point.

  Okay, I have update pan to 0.13.0 now.

> ...so i guess a LOT of major GTK apps are gonna be depending on gtk2/glib2
> soon, as they do, how are we going to adjust?

  Since gtk and gtk2 can live side-by-side, there should not be much of
a problem.

> A lot of KDE apps are duplates w/ v2 v.s. v3

  I don't know about whether KDE2 and 3 can be installed at the same
time.  But for GTK (and also GNOME) applications, having both sets of
libraries installed works fine.  Therefore, upgrading on a package by
package basis should be okay.

  Keeping older versions of packages IMHO only makes sense if that
package is a prerequisite for others or where it is otherwise desirable
to have two versions available.  But that's not gtk/glib/gnome-specific,
we have that for a lot of packages ...

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene