Subject: Emacs related stuff (mk/emacs.mk)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@pultek.co.jp>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/16/2002 22:55:21
Hello,

Most of you might have already noticed, mk/emacs.mk file, a Makefile
fragment to support Emacs Lisp package installation, is newly
introduced. mk/emacs.mk makes it possible that packages are used
(compiled) for both Emacs and XEmacs.

Packages, however, are set as supports only GNU Emacs. If a package
can be also available for XEmacs, it needs to explicitly declare that
in Makefile, for example,
	EMACS_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=	emacs21 emacs20 xemacs211 xemacs215

Emacs Lisp files are installed under
	${PREFIX}/share/emacs/site-lisp/foo
if used by GNU Emacs, or
	${PREFIX}/lib/xemacs/site-packages/lisp/foo
if used by XEmacs respectively. These are written as
${EMACS_LISPPREFIX}/foo in mk/emacs.mk and packages' Makefiles.

I plan to update all of Emacs Lisp packages in our Pkgsrc tree to use
mk/emacs.mk, and then replace editors/emacs by Emacs 21 and let Emacs
20 deprecated.

I believe this is useful, but there're very possibly many bugs around.
Please feel free to mail to me. Any comments including bug reports,
wish lists, and others will be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Masao