Subject: Re: RFC: new variable SUGGESTS, Part II
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/07/2002 06:57:15
On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 14:06, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> How would you do that?  If you want to specify beforehand that you only
> want to accept certain packages, you'd have to know exactly which ones
> you want.  I think I don't understand you correctly here -- if you want

  Well, you could know that if, for example, you had compiled a set of
packages before.  This was meant to be an additional option to
TAKE_SUGGESSTS=YES (or NO).

> >   Take a look at gnome, for example.
>
> Well, are you able to say "install all of gnome, but do not install pan
> and ee"?  With meta-pkgs you _are_ making an all-or-nothing decision.

  This wasn't a comparison between meta-packages and TAKE_SUGGESTS.
What I meant was that if I automatically build a large number of
package, I might want to be able to specify which suggestions to include
and which not.  For example, if I compiled gnome, I get a large number
of packages.  Some of them might have SUGGESTS and of these, I might
know which ones to take and which ones not to take (because this already
is the 378th time I compiled these packages).  That's where I believe it
would make sense to allow for an explicit list of SUGGESTS to be picked
up (as an option to TAKE_SUGGESTS=YES and NO).

> As I said, I may be misunderstanding you here - how would you implement
> this?  As a regular expression?  Category-based?

  I was thinking of a list of regular expressions.  This way, the
current SUGGESTS could easily be matched against this list to check
whether or not to include the current suggestion.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene