Subject: Re: dependence on logical service vs. package name
To: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/06/2002 07:32:40
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Marton Fabo wrote:

> Are there so many groups of packages that provide the same service,
> which is accessible using the same interface (so that they can be just
> replaced by each other) that making this mechanism work even worths the
> effort?
>
> I realize the exim/sendmail/postfix stuff, are there others?

I was thinking that MTAs was a bad example, since no matter what we have
sendmail or postfix even without package.

Some packages may require:
web server
web server with CGI
web browser
http client for fetching (but ftp(1) also does the job)
maybe a multi-purpose graphics browser

I don't know specifics other than web server with CGI because it could be
used with some webmail and web-based geneaology software that isn't
packaged yet.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/