Subject: dependence on logical service vs. package name (was Re: RFC: new variable SUGGESTS, Part II)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.sep.zwei@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/04/2002 21:43:39
Martin J. Laubach wrote:

>   Debian seems to distinguish between the package name and the
> provided service name: one can have different packages providing
> the same service, for example there are sendmail.deb and qmail.deb
> and exim.deb, but they all provide "mta".

>   Would that (ie. a PROVIDES variable) be something we want?

I haven't really used Debian but that sounds nice and would be handy
for me right now. SpamAssassin 2.40 doesn't support mail delivery
anymore so usually it needs a local delivery agent. Most people seem to
use the recommended procmail but there are others e.g maildrop.

Should I put this requirement in DESCR and MESSAGE or should I DEPEND on
procmail although there is no real dependence on it? To DEPEND on a
service 'local_mail_delivery' would be better IMHO.

ciao
     Klaus