Subject: Re: RFC: new variable SUGGESTS, Part II
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2002 10:11:30
Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:33:23 -0400
> Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > TAKE_SUGGESTS can be set to YES, NO, and ASK.  YES accepts all
> > suggestions, NO rejects all.  ASK makes 'make' ask for every single
> > suggestion.  Did you not notice the 'ASK' option?
>
> I wonder how ASK will be implemented... ask for each suggested package
> before installing it? Or ask for all the packages before building the "real"
> one? (i.e., with dialog for example).

Currently, it asks you for every single suggestion, thus allowing you to
make a selection.  It starts checking suggestions after the installation
of the package is complete -- IMHO, this is the right thing to do, since
you do not want the installation of the package you _really_ want to
possibly fail due to some error in a suggested package.

Example:
# pwd
/usr/pkgsrc/wm/blackbox
# make
[... normal build ...]
# make install
[... normal install ...]
===> Registering Insallation for blackbox-0.62.1
Install suggested package bbkeys>=0.8.4? [y/n] y
[... normal install of bbkeys ...]
Install suggested package bbpager>=0.3.1? [y/n] n
# pwd
/usr/pkgsrc/wm/blackbox
# make check-suggests
Suggested package bbkeys>=0.8.5 found: bbkeys-0.8.4
Install suggested package bbpager>=0.3.0? [y/n] y
[... normal install for bbpager ...]
# pwd
/usr/pkgsrc/wm/blackbox
#