Subject: Re: RFC: generating menus from packages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.sep.zwei@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2002 15:29:51
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> 1) Should all menu entries be placed in single file or per package (that
> supports it)? I think it should be separate files.

Won't the entries be placed in menu files for *wm?

> 5) Also optional: a brief description (because some window managers may show)
> and long title (because some window managers may display).

Could there be some way to have descriptions in different languages?
I guess the *NIX desktops KDE and GNOME support non-English languages,
too (never used them myself).

> entries it would become quite overwhelming. But it could just simply use
> our standard package categories. What do you think?

If the hierarchy of pkgsrc directories is supposed to make sense to the
pkgsrc user I would conclude it should also make sense in a menu
system. Will there be a way to override this default structure?

> 12) I think the menu entries for packages should be saved in only one
> place. But it would be okay if in multiple places too. Where do you think?
> /var/pkg/something? /usr/X11R6/etc/package-menus/?
> /usr/pkg/etc/package-menus?

What are 'menu entries' here? I thought the entries were lines like
'MENU=...' in the package Makefile. Or does this refer to the location
where the menu files for the window managers (containing the
transformed menu entries of all installed packages) should live?

ciao
     Klaus