Subject: Re: Anybody using Mosaic and lesstif12?
To: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/02/2002 22:00:01
On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Dave wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 03:37:05PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > >
> > > "mMosaic" has the same look and feel as "Mosaic", but it appears to be
> > > actively maintained, it does IPv6 and one table already, and it builds
> > > fine against openmotif. By this time, "lesstif12" is perfectly
> > > obsolete, and it's currently only used by Mosaic.
> >
> > My vote: go ahead and nuke both packages.  I think it's clear that they're
> > both obsolete.  "www/links-gui" is smaller than Mosaic and does a better
> > job at rendering modern web pages than Mosaic, so I don't think even the
> > ports that are tight on resources are using Mosaic at this point.
>
> Couldn't we just keep Mosaic around for hysterical raisins?

1) The distfile and cvs history will be around forever, in any case.

2) The thing dumps core with little provocation, and no one's ever
going to fix the bugs in it. No one's using lesstif12 for sure, so any
bugs in that are really going to go unfixed.

3) If you count lesstif12, Mosaic isn't such a little package (not
like "archie").

4) It has an hier in mMosaic. mMosaic starts with the same code base
and retains the look and feel.

Frederick