Subject: Re: 'make install' should run the INSTALL script!
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/28/2002 16:45:44
[ On Saturday, July 27, 2002 at 19:42:54 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: A policy for /var
>
> On 28 Jul 2002, Rene Hexel wrote:
> >
> >   What's wrong with a post-install target that runs INSTALL?  I don't
> > think packages installed with 'make install' should behave any
> > differently than binary packages added with 'pkg_add' (which
> > automatically runs the INSTALL script).
>
> Right, but conceptually, it would be a post-package target. Besides,
> there's already a post-install target.

That sort of makes sense in a strict sense, but it's not practical
because not everyone runs "make package".

For many packages the actions of the INSTALL script _MUST_ be performed
even if all that the user does is "make install" (i.e. no "make package").

It's safer to define the INSTALL script requirements in such a way that
they don't affect the creation of binary packages (i.e. "make package").
(and so far as I can see there are none that cause problems so far....)

There are several (many?) packages which already run the INSTALL script
in the post-install target anyway.

IMNSHO this should be done internally and _always_ be done.

--
								Greg A. Woods